A while ago i saw this video about the evolution of engines. This has interested me for a while and for quite some time i have been meaning to write about it and share it. This video goes through many types of engines and how they work. Its truly amazing to see how much engines have evolved and how complex some are and how simple others are. here are my favorites the video touched upon.
history of engines
- external combustion engine.
- works by using steam from boiling water
- The expansion propels the pistons because steam occupies more volume then water
- external combustion engine
- Similar to the steam engine except works from temperature difference which forces the air to expand and contract which drives the piston
- An internal combustion engines
- works from fuel being injected and mixed with lots of compressed air
- The gassses mix and ignite
- the ignition creates a large expansion of gas which spins a turbine
- this spinning is then used to restart the loop by grabbing more air to compress